Background to SAVCA and its annual conference
The Southern African Venture Capital and Private Equity Association (SAVCA) is a non-profit industry association representing nearly 90 private equity and venture capital fund managers in Southern Africa, who collectively manage more than R170bn in assets.
SAVCA was established in 1998 and its mission is to promote the private equity and venture capital industry by engaging with regulators and legislators on matters affecting the industry, providing relevant and insightful research, offering training and creating meaningful networking opportunities for industry players.
SAVCA has presented an annual private equity industry conference since the early years of inception. The conference is a highlight of the industry calendar and a key deliverable by SAVCA to its members.
Following a successful conference in February 2015, SAVCA will present its next industry conference on Wednesday 17 and Thursday 18 February 2016, at Spier Wine Estate, Stellenbosch, South Africa.
Objectives of the conference
- Showcase the Southern African private equity and venture capital industry
- Promote the private equity and venture capital asset class in general
- Create a compelling context for networking and information sharing amongst industry players
- Establish a platform for building and solidifying SAVCA's relationships with industry organisations, investors, regulators, members and the media
Target audience for the conference
- Senior representatives from private equity fund managers active in South Africa, Southern Africa and other parts of Africa
- Institutional investors into private equity funds
- Regulators and policymakers
- Service providers to the private equity industry (including bankers, lawyers, advisors, consultants)
- Senior members of businesses seeking private equity funding
Theme of the 2016 Conference: Dealing in Abundance
The theme for this conference is "Dealing in Abundance", a statement about the role of private equity in supporting the enhancement and expansion of businesses, the community and the economy. The role of active stewardship played by private equity fund managers, their strategic insight, operational nous and extensive networks are valuable elements in helping business owners, employees and community stakeholders to flourish. In short, the theme is consistent with our view that private equity is a force for good.
The theme is also a reference to the pick-up in deal activity, including acquisitions and exits, that our members are reporting. By February 2016, we'll have a great deal more to discuss!